The News

WWW.THENEWS.MX

Tuesday 14, July 2020
Capital Coahuila
Capital Querétaro
Capital Edo. de Méx.
Capital México
Capital Mujer
Reporte Índigo
Estadio Deportes
The News
Efekto
Green TV
Revista Cambio
  • Radio Capital
  • Pirata FM
  • Capital Máxima
  • Capital FM
Digital
Prensa
Radio
TV

Russia Says Might Use Force to Cease-Fire Violators in Syria

The cease-fire that began on Feb. 27, brokered by Russia and the U.S., has helped significantly reduce hostilities
By The News · 21 of March 2016 09:43:31
Mideast Islamic State Losing Ground, FILE - In this Wednesday, March 9, 2016 file photo, Popular Mobilization forces chant slogans against the Islamic State group as Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled al-Obeidi tours the front line in Anbar, Iraq. After months of losing ground in Iraq and Syria, the Islamic State group is showing signs of the wear and tear, with commanders on the ground saying they are seeing an increase in desertions. But the jihadis appear to be lashing back with more terrorist and chemical attacks. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban, File), No available

Russia on Monday warned the United States that it will start responding to cease-fire violations in Syria unilaterally starting Tuesday if the U.S. refuses to coordinate rules of engagement against the violators. A U.S. official contended the issues were being discussed “in a constructive manner.”

The Russian military have accused the U.S. of dragging its feet on responding to Moscow’s proposals on joint monitoring of a Syria cease-fire. A top Russian general said on the weekend that further delays are leading to civilian casualties, like in Aleppo where 67 civilians reportedly have been killed by militant fire since the truce started.

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, March 17, 2016. REUTERS/Alexei Nikolsky/Sputnik/Kremlin ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS.

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia. Photo: Reuters/Alexei Nikolsky/Sputnik/Kremlin.

Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian General Staff said in a statement on Monday that Russia will have to use force unilaterally that because the U.S., in talks with Russia last week, had refused to coordinate a joint response.

“The American side was not ready for this particular discussion and for the approval of the agreement,” the statement quoted him as saying.

But in a statement, a U.S. official in Geneva said: “We have seen the media reports on alleged Russian concerns over cease-fire violations. Whoever is making such statements must be misinformed, because these issues have been discussed at length already, and continue to be discussed, in a constructive manner.”

The official demanded anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Russian warplanes fly in the sky over the Mediterranean coastal city of Latakia, Syria, in this January 28, 2016 file photo. To match Insight MIDEAST-CRISIS-SYRIA/PUTIN REUTERS/Omar Sanadiki /Files

Russian warplanes fly in the sky over the Mediterranean coastal city of Latakia, Syria. Photo: Reuters/Omar Sanadiki.

The cease-fire that began on Feb. 27, brokered by Russia and the U.S., has helped significantly reduce hostilities. The Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front have been excluded from the truce.

Russian President Vladimir Putin last week recalled some of Russian warplanes from Syria, but said the action against the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front will continue.