Navigation
Suscribe
Menu Search Facebook Twitter
Search Close
Menu ALL SECTIONS
  • Capital Coahuila
  • Capital Hidalgo
  • Capital Jalisco
  • Capital Morelos
  • Capital Oaxaca
  • Capital Puebla
  • Capital Quintana Roo
  • Capital Querétaro
  • Capital Veracruz
  • Capital México
  • Capital Michoacán
  • Capital Mujer
  • Reporte Índigo
  • Estadio Deportes
  • The News
  • Efekto
  • Diario DF
  • Capital Edo. de Méx.
  • Green TV
  • Revista Cambio
Radio Capital
Pirata FM
Capital Máxima
Capital FM
Digital
Prensa
Radio
TV
X
Newsletter
Facebook Twitter
X Welcome! Subscribe to our newsletter and receive news, data, statistical and exclusive promotions for subscribers
World

Rockets Hit U.N. Yemen Ceasefire Office in Saudi Arabia

The entrance of the building near the Yemeni border has been hit by Katyusha rockets launched by the Iranian-allied Houthi group who control Yemen's capital, Sanaa

Satellite view of southern Saudi Arabia, photo: Wikimedia Commons
By Reuters Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Share
8 months ago

RIYADH – A building in southern Saudi Arabia used by United Nations staff to monitor ceasefire violations in Yemen was damaged by rocket fire on Monday.

Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya TV reported that the entrance of the building in Dhahran al-Janoub province, near the Yemeni border, had been hit by Katyusha rockets launched by the Iranian-allied Houthi group who control Yemen’s capital, Sanaa.

United Nations special envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed did not attribute blame but said it was “especially tragic that this attack took place at a point in time where we are calling for a restoration of the Cessation of Hostilities.”

Neither Ould Cheikh Ahmed nor Al-Arabiya made any mention of casualties.

Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab allies have carried out thousands of bombing raids in Yemen since March 2015 in a campaign to try to restore the ousted internationally recognised government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

A 48-hour truce declared by Saudi Arabia in November failed to halt fighting, and a plan to end the war put forward by Ould Cheikh Ahmed was rejected by Hadi’s exiled administration.

In his statement, Ould Cheikh Ahmed urged both parties in the conflict to commit to resuming a ceasefire that he said would open space for renewed dialogue.

KATIE PAUL
TOM FINN
NED PARKER

Comments Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Share
More From The News
Mexico

Messages of Solidarity Found in Donation ...

14 mins ago
Mexico

Help Still Needed in Xochimilco

15 mins ago
Mexico

Cyclists Provide Aid to Mexico City Quak ...

33 mins ago
Mexico

International Help for Earthquake Rescue

34 mins ago
Most Popular

Mexico Shocked By News: Girl Trapped in ...

By The Associated Press
Mexico

Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 273

By Notimex
Mexico

7.1 Magnitude Quake Kills 139 as Buildui ...

By The Associated Press
Mexico

Search for Mexico Quake Survivors Enters ...

By The Associated Press
Mexico

Celebs Donate to Quake Relief, Politicia ...

By Federico Rojas Frias
Mexico