CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — The Latest on explosions at speech given by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro (all times local):
A previously unknown group has claimed responsibility for an attempted attack on Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro.
Soldiers in T-shirts said in a tweet Saturday that it planned to fly two drones loaded with explosives at the president, but government soldiers shot them down before reaching its target.
The Associated Press could not independently verify the authenticity of message.
The group says that while it was not successful at first, it’s just a matter of time before it is.
The organization did not respond to a message seeking more information.
Maduro was unharmed in the attack.
Firefighters at the scene of an explosion that Venezuelan officials call an attack on President Nicolas Maduro are disputing the government’s version of events.
Three officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case say the incident was actually a gas tank explosion inside an apartment.
Smoke could be seen coming out of a building window at the site of the incident.
Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said that several drones armed with explosives detonated near Maduro as he was delivering a speech.
He characterized it as an attack aimed at the embattled president, who was recently elected to a new term in office despite a crippling economic and humanitarian crisis.
Maduro is safe and unharmed.
Venezuela’s government says several explosions heard at a military event were an attempted attack on President Nicolas Maduro.
Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said in a live broadcast Saturday that several drone-like devices with explosives detonated near the president.
He said Maduro is safe and unharmed but that seven people were injured.
Firefighters near the scene are disputing the government’s version of events.