The News
The News
Tuesday 22 of September 2020

Germany: Family found dead at home with elevated gas levels


Rescue workers stand outside a house in Esslingen near Stuttgart, southern Germany, Monday, Feb. 5, 2018 after four people were found dead there along with indications of elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building. (Sven Kohls/SDMG/dpa via AP),Rescue workers stand outside a house in Esslingen near Stuttgart, southern Germany, Monday, Feb. 5, 2018 after four people were found dead there along with indications of elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building. (Sven Kohls/SDMG/dpa via AP)
Rescue workers stand outside a house in Esslingen near Stuttgart, southern Germany, Monday, Feb. 5, 2018 after four people were found dead there along with indications of elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building. (Sven Kohls/SDMG/dpa via AP),Rescue workers stand outside a house in Esslingen near Stuttgart, southern Germany, Monday, Feb. 5, 2018 after four people were found dead there along with indications of elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building. (Sven Kohls/SDMG/dpa via AP)
A family of four has been found dead in southwestern Germany, and police say emergency officials found elevated carbon monoxide levels in their house. Police in Esslingen, near Stuttgart, were alerted by a relative who got no response when he rang and knocked on the door Monday, and then saw two people lying on the floor through a window. Fire officers found the bodies of a man and woman, both 29, their 3-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son inside.

BERLIN (AP) — A family of four has been found dead in southwestern Germany, and police say their house had elevated carbon monoxide levels.

Police in Esslingen, near Stuttgart, were alerted on Monday by a relative who got no response when he rang and knocked on the door, and then saw two people lying on the floor through a window.

Fire officers found the bodies of a man and woman, both 29, their 3-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son inside.

Esslingen police say the high carbon monoxide levels in the house indicate poisoning from the gas likely killed the family. They say the deaths are being investigated as accidental.