So, unless you’ve been living under a rock, you might have noticed that tomorrow is Mother’s Day, and here in Mexico, that’s a big deal.
May 10 is HER day, and there are plenty of ways to indulge, pamper and coddle the mother of your children or the woman who brought you into this world on this special occasion that don’t involve giving her a power drill or tickets to a soccer tournament. (Yes, I’m talking to you guys out there.)
So, just in case you are still contemplating a trip to Home Depot to find her the perfect gift, here are eight much more viable presents that will keep you out of the doghouse and actually make her smile.
1) Give her flowers or candy. (This one is a no-brainer and far more attractive to her than that ratchet wrench you had been eying.)
Most flower stands in Mexico will double or triple their prices on Mother’s Day, so expect to pay a hefty fee for a dozen roses or an arrangement of gladiolas, but, remember, it is partly your fault for waiting until the last minute to get her a gift.
You can always opt instead to purchase a living plant, such as an orchid, now and keep it watered until tomorrow.
Candy prices won’t go up, so consider a trip to a high-end chocolatier such as L’Atelier du Chocolat at the Antara shopping mall in Polanco or Tout Chocolat on Amsterdam in the Condesa neighborhood. (No, a bag of Hershey’s Kisses isn’t going to cut it.)
2) Give her perfume. This one is tricky unless you know what scent she likes.
Every woman’s chemistry is different, so how a fragrance smells on her is different from how it might smell on someone else.
Also, some women prefer light citrusy aromas and others opt for exotic floral or spicy perfumes.
If you don’t know what perfume your mother likes, or at least what family of aromas she prefers, you are probably better off choosing one of the other seven options.
3) Take her to lunch or dinner. Most major hotels and restaurants have special Mother’s Day packages that include a gourmet meal and even a complementary rose for Mum.
The St. Regis offers a four-course champagne lunch in its tony Diana Restaurant for about 1,000 pesos per person that is sure to impress, and the Presidente InterContinental in Polanco has several high-end restaurants — including Au Pied de Cochon (gourmet French cuisine) and the tony Palm steak house.
4) Give her a day at the spa or beauty salon. Nothing is more indulgent for a woman than a hot-stone massage or a facial.
And she will love a mani-pedi certificate at her favorite nail spa.
The Prospect spa on Monte Ararat, next door to the Libros, Libros, Libros bookstore in Colonia Lomas de Chapultepec, will throw in a foot massage and a consultation a professional podologist for a small additional fee.
Or you can make a reservation for her at one of the Dior spas inside Palacio de Hierro for a facial and relaxation treatment. They run about 800 to 1,200 pesos a pop, and the great thing about these spa treatments is that she will not only get the facial but the entire value of your investment in credit back for Dior skincare products, so you are really giving her a double gift for the price of one.
5) Give her a mall gift certificate. This is a no-worries solution because it’s a one-size fits all gift that she can use to choose an item she will really enjoy and want to wear (unlike that purple and yellow spotted sweater you gave her last year that was four sizes too big and which is still buried in the back of her closet with the orange, pink and blue striped muumuu dress you brought her back from your trip to Hawaii three years ago).
6) Better yet, take her shopping. Spend some real quality time with her doing something she enjoys. (It’s true that shopping is usually a double-x chromosome thing and probably not something you really look forward to, but think about all the school plays and football games she sat through for you.)
7) Take her to the theater or a concert (not Rammstein or Metalica). Most women enjoy the opera, but if sitting through three hours of weepy arias is more than you can stomach, a nice Johann Sebastian Bach concerto or Sergei Rachmaninoff recital will do.
8) And the easiest (and least expensive) gift you can give her, tell her you love her. Call her, send her a card, send her an email or, if she is still living in the dark ages of pre-Internet, send her a telegram.
The important thing is to let her know she is loved and appreciated.
And remember, there is always payback. Father’s Day is coming up next month, and if you play your cards right today, you might end up with that high-torque ratchet wrench you had your heart set on come June 19.
Revlon has added a new weapon to its arsenal of Pro Collection hairstyling tools, a One-Step Dryer and Styling Brush. This all-in-one dryer and paddle brush combines the power of a dryer with the precision of a styler (and means you don’t have to have three hands in order to get salon-worthy results). The focused blower dries and smooths hair quickly for less heat damage, while adding volume and body. The ionic technology adds shine and tames frizz. Three temperature settings — including a cool — means you can adapt the amount of heat you need to get a professional look at home. Best of all, it is light and easy to carry for travel.
SkinCeuticals, the derma-cosmetic line sold only by dermatologists and plastic surgeons, has introduced a new Hydrating B5 Gel that is enriched with vitamin B5 (essential for the skin’s barrier repair function) to help replenish nutrients to dry skin and leave your face smoother and more youthful-looking. This moisture-enhancing gel also contains hyaluronic acid, a natural humectant capable of retaining 1,000 times its own weight in water, making it an effective moisturizer. Hydrating B5 Gel is suitable for all skin types and it can be used in addition to your daily night and day creams and with vitamin C treatments to maximize benefits.
The smart folks at the Victoria’s Secret brand know that when you have a winner, you stick with it. And that is exactly what they have done with their sultry Very Sexy Eau de Parfum, which the company has recently relaunched in Mexico. First introduced by the design house in 2002, Very Sexy boasts a romantic combination of floral tones of sun-drenched clementine, with a heart of intoxicating cactus flowers, lush orchid vanilla and dark and juicy blackberry. And the perfume’s lingering close of white amber and pimento gives it an unexpected air of mystery. Victoria’s Secret Very Sexy is a perfect blend of provocation and sophistication.
Crabtree & Evelyn, the U.S.-based body and home product brand founded by Cyrus Harvey in 1972 that evolved from a small, family-run business specializing in fine soaps and toiletries into a global corporation with over 500 stores worldwide, has just introduced three new delicately scented creams to its hand therapy collection. Inspired by English gardens and enriched with natural botanicals to soften and nourish hands and body, the three new creams — Aromatic Orangery, Fresh Water Garden and Orchard in Bloom — come packaged in soft plastic tubes decorated with designs created by British artist Alice Patullo that reflect nostalgic memories of her childhood.