UNITED NATIONS – Secretary-General António Guterres says in a draft report that the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for more than half the children killed and injured in Yemen’s civil war last year.
The report, obtained Thursday by a news agency, said the United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 — representing 51 percent — to attacks carried out by the coalition.
It said nearly three-quarters of attacks on schools and hospitals — 38 of 52 — were also carried out by the coalition.
#Yemen: world’s largest humanitarian crisis, world’s largest food security emergency, world’s worst cholera outbreak and yet world-neglected pic.twitter.com/8FEvCUrttM
— Shabia Mantoo (@Shabia_M) 15 de agosto de 2017
The draft report on children and armed conflict echoes similar findings from last year when the U.S.-backed coalition was put on a U.N. blacklist for violating child rights but removed by then Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon after Saudi Arabia and other coalition supporters threatened to stop funding many U.N. programs.