Navigation
Suscribe
Menu Search Facebook Twitter
Search Close
Menu ALL SECTIONS
  • Capital Coahuila
  • Capital Hidalgo
  • Capital Jalisco
  • Capital Morelos
  • Capital Oaxaca
  • Capital Puebla
  • Capital Quintana Roo
  • Capital Querétaro
  • Capital Veracruz
  • Capital México
  • Capital Michoacán
  • Capital Mujer
  • Reporte Índigo
  • Estadio Deportes
  • The News
  • Efekto
  • Diario DF
  • Capital Edo. de Méx.
  • Green TV
  • Revista Cambio
Radio Capital
Pirata FM
Capital Máxima
Capital FM
Digital
Prensa
Radio
TV
X
Newsletter
Facebook Twitter
X Welcome! Subscribe to our newsletter and receive news, data, statistical and exclusive promotions for subscribers
World

Finnish Court Orders Detention of Moroccan in Stabbings

The regional court in Turku said the 18-year-old male suspect will be held on suspicion of terrorist crimes, including two counts of murder and eight counts of attempted murder

Seen on a court video link screen (R), Moroccan man Abderrahman Mechkah, lays in a hospital bed during the initial remand hearing, on suspicion of murder, attempted murder, and terrorism crimes, with judge Katriina Heiskanen, in court in Turku, Finland, Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017, photo: Lehtikuva via AP/Martti Kainulainen
4 months ago

HELSINKI – A Finnish court ordered a Moroccan asylum-seeker suspected of a knife attack that killed two and wounded eight people to remain in custody on preliminary charges.

The regional court in Turku said the 18-year-old male suspect will be held on suspicion of terrorist crimes, including two counts of murder and eight counts of attempted murder.

Three alleged accomplices also were ordered to be held on suspicion they helped plan the attack.

The main suspect, who was identified as Abderrahman Mechkah, has acknowledged Friday’s stabbings, but denied the murder charges. The others — all Moroccan — have denied any involvement.

The court said they were suspected of “participating in the murders and attempted murders, committed with terrorist intent.”

Mechkah arrived in Finland last year, but his application for asylum was denied, local media reports said.

“bloody events in Turku are a sign that terrorism has come to Finland,” Finnish Foreign Minister Timo Soini said. “I feel unspeakable sorrow.”

Investigators and the suspect’s lawyer, Kaarle Gummerus, said they were not aware of a motive for the killings.

“The remand hearing did not make clear that the prerequisites had been met for a charge of a terrorist crime,” Gummerus told the Finnish news agency STT.

Finnish police investigators are exploring possible links to last week’s extremist attacks in Spain, where most of the perpetrators and suspects are reported to be Moroccans.

Comments Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Share
More From The News
Latest News

Fast-moving flames force people to flee ...

3 days ago
Entertainment

Prosecutors: No charges against conducto ...

3 days ago
Latest News

Southern snowfall isn't deep, but many f ...

3 days ago
Latest News

New Mexico school shooter left note plot ...

3 days ago
Most Popular

Swiss claim 1MDB fraud

By The Associated Press
Business

Mexico's Industries seek U.S. Partner Co ...

By Rosalba Amezcua
Business

Cuba to Lift Penalty on Dollar but Warns ...

By The Associated Press
Business

Switzerland to Hand Venezuela Oil Firm B ...

By Reuters
Business

Mexico and Germany Sign Agreement Suppor ...

By Notimex
Business