Navigation
Suscribe
Menu Search Facebook Twitter
Search Close
Menu ALL SECTIONS
  • Capital Coahuila
  • Capital Hidalgo
  • Capital Jalisco
  • Capital Morelos
  • Capital Oaxaca
  • Capital Puebla
  • Capital Quintana Roo
  • Capital Querétaro
  • Capital Veracruz
  • Capital México
  • Capital Michoacán
  • Capital Mujer
  • Reporte Índigo
  • Estadio Deportes
  • The News
  • Efekto
  • Diario DF
  • Capital Edo. de Méx.
  • Green TV
  • Revista Cambio
Radio Capital
Pirata FM
Capital Máxima
Capital FM
Digital
Prensa
Radio
TV
X
Newsletter
Facebook Twitter
X Welcome! Subscribe to our newsletter and receive news, data, statistical and exclusive promotions for subscribers
Mexico

SEP: 2,224 Schools in Mexico Report Damages

Around 14 million students are not in class in 10 states in the country

Aurelio Nuño Mayer, Secretary of Public Education, offered a press conference to announce the actions taken on the reconstruction of school sites damaged by the earthquake in Oaxaca and Chiapas, photo: Cuartoscuro/Galo Cañas
By The News Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Share
4 months ago

The head of the Ministry of Public Education (SEP), Aurelio Nuño Mayer, reported that 2,224 schools have been been damaged in some way or another, most of them being minor damages.

In a few television interviews, Nuño Mayer indicated that there is also a possibility that schools will have major damages. So far in Mexico City 16 schools will require repair or total reconstruction.

He said that approximately 14 million students are out of school today, as a preventive measure and that the most important thing is to guarantee the safety of students and teachers.

“The most important thing is the safety of children, young people and teachers. We will be updating you day by day on the conditions,” he said.

Nuño Mayer said that the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and the National Polytechnic Institute (IPN) decided to suspend classes, at least for today, because those institutions are ones in which the SEP has no jurisdiction.

He spoke of the tragedy that five people have lost their lives at the Tecnológico de Monterrey, meanwhile at the Enrique Rébsamen school dozens of deceased have been reported, but the searches are still on-going.

“The Rébsamen is a private education establishment, so far the numbers we have are that 25 were killed. Of those, 21 were children and four were adults, 11 children were rescued and are in hospitals. According to the Navy Secretariat, three people missing,” Nuño Mayer said.

He stated that the Navy is focused on rescuing children, and that SEP staff provides support, in addition to being in contact with teachers and parents.

It is likely that on Thursday there will be no classes in Mexico City. He stated once again that classes are suspended in 10 states.

Comments Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Share
More From The News
Latest News

Despite doping scandals, Olympic fever g ...

1 day ago
Living

UAEM consolidates academic and scientifi ...

2 days ago
Latest News

Japan public TV sends mistaken North Kor ...

3 days ago
Latest News

Tillerson warns military action on NK un ...

3 days ago
Most Popular

Up to 90 Million More Takata Airbag Infl ...

By The News
Business

Autofin: Economic Environment Will Harm ...

By The News
Business

Meade: Poverty is the Greatest Challenge ...

By The News
Business

Snapchat, Seagate Among Companies Duped ...

By The News
Business

Robotics Expert: Self-driving Cars Not R ...

By The News
Business