The News – Capital Media
The News – Capital Media
  • Peña Nieto: 30 Deaths Reported after Earthquake

  • The president has been briefed on the damage caused by the 8.2 magnitude earthquake

Processed with Snapseed., photo: Cuartoscuro

08 of September 2017 14:08:31

President Enrique Peña Nieto said that 30 deaths have been reported so far after the 8.2 magnitude earthquake that struck Mexico Thursday night.Peña Nieto posted messages on Twitter to thank the leaders of foreign nations that have contacted him to offer their support."In the name of all Mexicans, I would like to thank the show of support that we have received from world leaders and friendly nations," he wrote one his Twitter page. to Peña Nieto, Chiapas and Oaxaca are the two most affected areas and there have been 260 aftershocks, the most intense registering at 6.1 magnitude.Peña Nieto also said that "Mass transportation, including airports and shipping ports were not affected and that roads are being inspected for damage." Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) said that there were 1.85 million homes were affected and that electricity has been restored to 1.66 million of those homes.The president also announced that he will postpone his trip to commemorate the 170th anniversary of the Molino del Rey battle and will instead travel to Chiapas to assess damages from the quake.

ShareShare FBShare TWShare WA

Most Popular